Many people are running for various reasons, but whatever it is there is a one good reason why people should practice running every day, and it is the health benefits. Running is the least that people can do to stay fit and healthy. Although many people don’t like running because it is exhausting and painful, there are still many of them who practice it for various purposes. You certainly know that running and other forms of exercise combined with the right diet is the greatest way to burn fats and eventually lose weight. Although there are lots of diet pills that are offered in the market, still nothing beats running and healthy diet.
Weight loss programs are being suggested by many professionals to help people lose weight. And many of the effective weight loss programs often include cardiovascular exercises like running to significantly help a person lose weight. There are many studies being conducted and proved that an average of 100 calories can be burned with every mile that a person can run. Another reason why people choose to run instead of going to exclusive and expensive fitness centers, running is affordably accessible. All you need to have is a pair of sneakers and your enthusiasm to get healthier.
From Regular Running to the Next Level Marathon
People run for various reasons and many are engaged in taking it to a higher level. Running alone is certainly exhausting and painful but what will you feel if you try taking the higher level, the marathon. Marathon is a race having 42.195 kilometers or 26.2 miles. Among the marathon racers, they are categorized into three. The first are the competitive athletes where they take the marathon seriously, second are the recreational runners who only want fun and experience but still they are regularly running in marathons and the last are those who only want to try the game to complete their list of things to do before they die. People who are competing in the marathon are increasing year after year. For instance, according to the annual report about the number of competitors who joined marathons in the U.S. have climb up to 8.6% increase between 2009 and 2010.
Running a marathon certainly sounds more fun, but the fun will only be achieved if you have successfully finished the race without literally exhausting yourself to death. Running is certainly fun but it would not be fun anymore if you have acquired injury. For people who are actually just beginning running, it is not advisable to immediately jump and join marathon considering this is a 26.2 miles race. If running a marathon is your goal, make sure that you have achieved the necessary requirements before jumping to the race. Running a marathon should not be taken for granted, and besides organizers will not allow you to join if you fail their requirements. The preparations you need to do include:
- Medical Check-up – This is important since you will be dealing with a 42.195 kilometer race and it will certainly take all your breath and will make your heart pump to its full capacity. Even if you practice running regularly, medical check-up is still crucial and letting him/her know that you are about to join a marathon is significant.
- Accessories – Just like any other sports, appropriate accessories should be used to make a maximum performance and avoid possible injuries. Of course, running a marathon needs a decent pair of running shoes. There are running shoes that are especially designed having a shock absorber to prevent injury. For women, wearing a sports bra is important because like the running shoes, it plays a vital role in preventing possible injuries from happening. Sports clothes are also important since you will be sweating a lot. You can choose sports clothes made from technical fabrics to help you keep dry even if you sweat enough. Water bottle is one of the very important things to have when running a marathon. Water or any specialized energy drink will keep you hydrated and replace the lost electrolytes from your body. Your water bottle should go along with the hydration belt where you will be putting the bottle.
- The Weather – Running a marathon is not a joke that is why organizers are very strict with their policies. In case you will be joining a marathon, you should particularly know the kind of weather that you will be dealing during the race. With this, you can prepare yourself to adjust in the weather during the race.
- Training schedule – After you have established the above requirements, you can now commence with your training. You need to at least run 15 miles every week and you can exceed your miles every time you practice. Your stamina is very important and practicing other cardiovascular exercises can help in preparing you with the marathon. The benefits of pushups might also help you as a beginner in marathon.
Running is a very excellent cardiovascular exercise that helps people to get fitter and healthier. Besides being affordably accessible, it is a fun way to start your day with your family or friends. There are number of health benefits that running a marathon can do to your body.
- Blood pressure will certainly get stabilized and maintain it in low level.
- Your lungs will be used to strenuous physical activities and you will also don’t get easily tired.
- Because you want to stay healthy, as a domino effect, you will be forced to maintain your diet and stay out of unhealthy foods.
- You will have a lesser risk of having a heart attack.
There are three main factors that you should consider when running a marathon. Your overall mileage is very important and this should be measured without getting any injury during the training. Because you will be joining marathon, your long runs are very significant and you should exceed it if possible. The last factor is workouts, and you can include the benefits of pushups to your weekly exercise and help yourself with other cardiovascular exercises. With these three factors, you can assure that you are ready to join a marathon race.
If you’re just starting out though, check this out to learn about beginning running.